Tuesday 8 October 2013

The Mask

Picture by Greg Williams (gerg1967)
In June 2013, the massive, decades-long juggling act I had been performing came crashing down.
While I had suspected for a while that I had some issues, to use the cleanest euphemism possible, I resisted accepting that they really existed. I'm sure those closest to me knew that all was not well, but even with them I tried to hide what I was feeling. To the rest of the world, I presented (or tried to present) a persona of that was always joking, making light of any and all problems... except possibly crappy software development but that's a topic for a different blog!

In short, I spent decades wearing a mask.

I wore a mask that attempted to project someone who was always happy, finding humour in any situation. I wore a mask that attempted to project someone who was comfortable in their skin. I wore a mask that attempted to project someone who hadn't stumbled their way to a pretty good career in the software industry. I wore a mask that hid enormous pain that had been accumulating for many years and wasn't going away by simply ignoring it.

Certainly there were plenty of times that I was genuinely happy. I have been fortunate in so many ways, and my depression hasn't been anywhere as severe as that experienced by many people. I have been blessed by having had relationships that allowed me to grow. I have been blessed to have watched the birth of my two kids. I have been blessed to have a fantastic family who would go to the end of the Earth for each other. I'm especially blessed to have a wife who loves unconditionally and, despite my resistance, encouraged me to finally seek help.

But despite all those great aspects of my life, I wasn't feeling good. In fact, I was feeling worse. My work was starting to suffer. I was experiencing issues with many things due to the anxiety of dealing with them. My relationships with friends had all but evaporated because I was isolating myself.

The mask was starting to crack, and this past June it finally shattered. I couldn't deny my problems anymore and was forced to deal with them.

What I didn't expect was that the impassable wall of anxiety I had built was much more difficult to scale than any of the problems. Those are more like mountains, needing a slow and steady climb but still surmountable. Indeed, some have been mere hills easily conquered with a day hike.

In the end, the carefully and elaborately constructed mask that was intended to hide the real me from the outside world was working in reverse. It was hiding the true nature of that world from me.

3 comments:

  1. My closet is full of masks, they drain me of my life. On the days the closet stays closed, I stay in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I offer a book to read - The Road Less Travelled - Scott Peck - on those days when you stay in bed (as I did) give yourself this gift :-)

      Namaste

      Delete
  2. I understand that mask all too well. My husband was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder in April 2011. In the past couple of months he was also diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. As his wife and supporter, I have worn the mask for a long time myself. We were married for 12 years before his diagnosis. I spent a lot of time making excuses for his behavior and covering up how I felt, knowing something was wrong but not knowing how to address the issues. It is liberating to drop the mask, although it is scary to be without that cover. I'm so glad to hear that you are facing the world without the mask. I wish you the best. I am a new follower to your blog and am looking forward to reading more of your writing so I can understand my husband a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete